We all want a clean home. Someplace we can feel healthy and at peace. But a clean home goes beyond a sparkling kitchen and a bed made with freshly laundered sheets. It extends outside your front door—into the natural spaces that not only provide beauty and a place for enjoyment, but are essential to our very lives on planet earth. This is our second home. The one we will leave our children.
At Melaleuca, we celebrate Earth Day knowing that a clean life is a better, healthier life, and that includes a clean environment. It’s up to all of us to take care of this planet we call home, and we invite everyone to join us in making a lasting positive difference. If we all make just a few simple changes in our daily routines, over time our world will become cleaner and healthier for generations to come.
What You Need to Know
As someone living on planet earth in the twenty-first century, you are making an impact on the environment. The question is whether or not your impact is positive or negative.
There are four major areas where your decisions—the choices you make every day—can make a difference. The consequences are both vast and personal. These areas affect what you breathe, what you drink, and ultimately what your future will look like.
Only use cleaning products that are free from chlorine bleach, phosphates, and other harsh chemicals—such as Tub & Tile™ and Diamond Brite®—to keep our waterways clean.
Use cold water to wash clothes whenever possible and save over $10 a month on your electric bill. EcoSense® laundry products, like MelaPower® 6x, are formulated specifically to get your laundry clean in cold water.
Improve Air Quality
Do your weekly errands in a single trip. Walk, bike, or carpool whenever possible. And with concentrated products from Melaleuca, we don’t ship unnecessary water—reducing diesel fuel and CO2 emissions.
Buying concentrated products like EcoSense® cleaning, laundry, and dish products helps reduce packaging that’s thrown away and cuts down on the need to manufacture new plastic packaging.
Fact: If the plastic that Melaleuca customers have saved since 1985 were turned into laundry baskets, there would be enough to circle the earth seven times.
A major way you can make a difference is by choosing to purchase products from companies that are committed to eco-friendly practices. For almost 30 years, Melaleuca has made environmental wellness an important part of our company culture, and our commitment to the environment shapes our practices:
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS – Instead of harsh chemicals like chlorine bleach, ammonia, and formaldehyde, Melaleuca EcoSense® products are powered by naturally derived ingredients including essential oils.
- CONCENTRATED PRODUCTS – Using less plastic, less fuel, and less water means using fewer resources and creating less pollution.
- MANUFACTURING – We use sustainably sourced and recycled materials in our catalogs, shipping materials, and product packaging. We also recycle every material we can, from cardboard boxes to plastic bottles.
- ENERGY – Our distribution facility uses skylights and energy-efficient lighting to cut back on electricity. Our Idaho Falls facilities are powered by 97% hydro and wind energy.
- SHIPPING – We save you the cost of driving to the grocery store by shipping products directly to you. Trucks leave our distribution center packed to full capacity in order to maximize fuel use.
- PACKAGING – Your order is packed with air pillows instead of bubble wrap or Styrofoam peanuts, which creates far less waste in landfills and requires less fuel to ship it to your door.
- DISTRIBUTION – Reusable plastic bins are used to move products at our plant instead of industry-standard, disposable cardboard boxes. Once the bins can no longer be used, they are recycled into fiber optic cables.
- FORMULATION – Melaleuca EcoSense® products are formulated with natural, biodegradable ingredients that do not disrupt the ecosystem when they return to our waterways.
What You Can Do
The vast majority of people want to do something to create a cleaner, safer environment—most just don’t know what they can do. Making a difference for a worldwide problem may seem impossible. But if you do your part, you can make a difference! Small but consistent changes will add up to big improvements.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”—Margaret Mead
It is little actions repeated over and over again that have endangered the cleanliness of the world we live in. It is these little actions that make up our lives that will steer the future of our earth down a road that is unhealthy and dirty or healthy and clean. So a few simple changes to the things you do every day can make a very real, monumental difference.
4 Simple Steps for a Healthier Environment
These four steps will not only help create a healthier environment for you and your family, but have the potential to help preserve a healthy environment for your children, grandchildren, and generations to come.
- Convert your home to Melaleuca products
Becoming a Melaleuca Preferred Customer is the easiest way to do your part and reduce the harmful chemicals entering our waterways.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
Recycle old newspapers, aluminum cans, glass bottles, and plastic containers to help reduce the amount of trash sent to landfills each year.
- Skip a trip in your car
It’s a smart, healthy way to reduce air pollution and fuel consumption, plus your heart will thank you for it.
- Adjust your thermostat
Program or manually turn down your thermostat by two degrees in the winter and turn it up two degrees in the summer to cut back on energy costs.
Join Us in Making a Difference
Knowing all the factors that negatively affect our environment can make wanting to do something about it feel a little daunting. But you don’t climb a mountain in one step. It’s a series of small steps that get you to the top.
The same is true with becoming more environmentally friendly. Small steps add up to big changes. By taking the lead to educate yourself on the issues and finding simple ways to implement changes, you can help your family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers see how easy and economical a “green” lifestyle can really be.
Team up with Melaleuca, and do your part for a healthy planet. Together, we can celebrate our beautiful home not just on Earth Day, but every day.
Kate Knight says
Please, you can make a difference! Join the efforts to save our planet
We are Committed to improve the environment! I just love the Melaleuca products and I will not go back to store brands.